ERMU Celebrates 106th Anniversary in JuneJune 1, 2021
On June 1, 1915, F.D. Waterman incorporated the Elk River Power & Light Company, the first step in providing electricity to the Village of Elk River, and founding the organization that became ERMU. The company’s 200-hoursepower turbine, which was situated next to the Lake Orono Dam, had the power to illuminate around 97,500 incandescent lamps.
A headline in the Sherburne County Star News read, “Long Hoped For Electric Lights and Power Now a Reality and Elk River People Are Jubilant.”
Read A History of Elk River Municipal Utilities to learn more.